Saturday, February 28, 2009

February 09 Net Worth Update: Emergency Fund here I come!

This is the third month that I have been keeping up with my Net Worth and its feeling good. I think punching these numbers every month are one of the most rewarding part of budgeting and saving. This is the one day of celebration of looking back and seeing a job well done. None of this budgeting and saving would be worth it if you cant sit back and look at your wealth start to accumulate. I used to get a lot of enjoyment out of working hard and going out and spending my hard earned money. Now, my enjoyment is working hard and putting in the numbers and seeing my money growing. Well besides my 401k and Roth IRA which are getting pounded but this is a long term investment and I have faith that one day it will be back up.

Here is the breakdown:

Cash Savings: this is a big jump in saving of $1557.23. Within this cash saving I am currently saving an emergency fund that is at about $9,537.23 which is in a money market account. The other is starting to go towards a house down payment and other month to month bills and living expenses.

Stocks/Brokerage: took a bit of a dip this month. Most of this is wrapped up in stock from a past employer. Its from a employee stock option plan that I was able to buy the stock at a 15% discount and I was really sitting good about a year ago. The stock itself has gone down more than 45% so at this point I think I am going to wait it out. I have just a small amount into a sharebuilder account with some quicksilver stock (ZQK).

Retirement 401k: continues to take a dip…I currently have one 401k with my old company that I haven’t rolled over yet which is taking a huge hit (-13.82%) $12,188. My other 401k with my new company is actually doing pretty well (+39.00%) $3,046.00.Retirement Roth IRA is down (-14.67%) to $3507.00 but I remain putting money into it. I feel like in the long run that this will be one of my best investments. I am currently trying to figure out how to put the $5,000.00 MAX in this year.

Credit Cards: $404.80 – this is just there because of flights I booked for our trip out to California in April, these will be paid off before interest is applied. I use credit cards for flights, big purchases or anything I need a warranty for. (since credit cards covers extended warranties)

Car Loan: Starting to think about putting more towards the minimal payment.

So I just keep rolling along and waiting for this market to turn around and get my retirement headed in the right instead of the wrong direction.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah doggie,

    Net worth in the positive digits=AWESOME! I'm "Green" with envy. I support the idea of throwing some extra dollars at that car loan. Guaranteed 6%-10% rate of return on your money right there (depending on your interest rate). Every dollar goes a long way! Keep it up homes!

    ReplyDelete