Monday, June 22, 2009

New York: John D. Rockefeller and Atlas Shrugged

This past weekend we went to visit my sister in New York. I have been to New York a few times and each time I enjoy going to see something new. We arrived in NY Friday morning and one of the things I wanted to see was the Atlas sculpture at the Rockefeller Center which is on the cover of Atlas Shrugged soft cover. It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.



One of my favorite parts besides the Atlas was reading the inscription on this granite slab that faces the Rockefeller building over looking the ice rink as written by John D Rockefeller Jr. 
“I believe in the supreme worth of the individual and in his right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.
I believe that the law was made for man and not man for the law; that government is the servant of the people and not their master.
I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.
I believe that thrift is essential to well ordered living and that economy is a prime requisite of a sound financial structure, whether in government, business or personal affairs.
I believe that truth and justice are fundamental to an enduring social order.
I believe in the sacredness of a promise, that a man’s word should be as good as his bond; that character — not wealth or power or position— is of supreme worth.
I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free.
I believe in an all-wise and all-loving God, named by whatever name, and that the individual’s highest fulfillment, greatest happiness, and widest usefulness are to be found in living in harmony with His will.
I believe that love is the greatest thing in the world; that it alone can overcome hate; that right can and will triumph over might.”
Wow, what can you say except that it is incredible that a man could express his beliefs in such an amazing way. We as individuals and our government need to take a hard look at the list of principles in which John D. Rockefeller Jr. believed. We as a society could learn so much from this, I can honestly say that I believe in every word he says here.



If you are ever in NYC, I would recommend going and seeing the Rockefeller Center. What do you think of Rockefeller's beliefs? Leave me a comment and let me know!

7 comments:

  1. 2 things - one, I had no idea the cover of AS was a statue in front of the Rockefeller center, thats pretty cool and actually makes sense. Two, I had no idea that J.D. Rockefeller espoused such transcendental thoughts such as those. I always kind of pictured him as a money-grubbing ultra capitalist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free."

    This looks like a contradiction with some of the earlier statements ("right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", "world owes no man a living", etc)
    See "The Virtue of Selfishness" by Ayn Rand (as long as we are talking about Atlas Shrugged...)

    Regards,
    Lev

    ReplyDelete
  3. David - Ya it is pretty amazing, I had no idea about J.D. Rockefeller either, it was very refreshing and I might have to learn more about him.

    Lev - Fair enough point...Overall there are still some pretty powerful beliefs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOT J.D. Rockefeller... the Standard Oil Mogul... but his SON. I was confused too until I saw "Jr" after his name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People,

    learn more about Rockefeller and you will see and understand the secret intentions hidding behind that plaque.

    regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: You will find such information in Walter Graziano's books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the ideals that Rockefeller would like to see extended towards himself (and less so to others) while he goes about his business of building a global monopoly in which he and his fellow elites are in charge, and everyone else is enslaved.

    ReplyDelete