Thursday, May 28, 2009

You Can Achieve the Unachievable

My creative director gave everyone in my department the book It's Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want to Be: The World's Best Selling Book by Paul Arden. The book itself is very easy to read and is pack full of great quotes, images, inspiration and insightful ideas. I would highly recommend purchasing this book and to flip through it often. I keep it on my coffee table and open it up every once in while. It is mostly about advertising, but can apply to pretty much any aspect of life.


The following is an excerpts from It's Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want to Be: © Copyright, 2003, by Paul Arden.

You Can Achieve the Unachievable.

Firstly you need to aim beyond what you are capable of.
You must develop a complete disregard for where your abilities end.
Try to do things that you're incapable of.
If you think you're unable to work for the best company in its sphere, make that your aim.
If you think you're incapable of running a company, make that your aim.
If you think you're unable to be on the cover of Time magazine, make it your business to be there.
Make your vision of where you want to be a reality.
Nothing is impossible.

I believe this is so true, and we can apply this to being successful with life whether it is happiness, career, or wealth. If you look at the title of the book Pual says "The world's best-selling book" he is backing up everything that he is preaching.

When it comes to wealth, we can achieve the unachievable, we just have to set our goals high. I read blogs all the time where bloggers got themselves into serious debt, then they decided that not only were they going to get out of debt, but vowed to themselves they were going to create wealth. It is so easy to be in piles of debt and all you can tell yourself is that you will never be debt free, I know first hand that I thought I never could save any money living in L.A. It wasn't a raise that got me saving money(even though it helped) I still lived paycheck to paycheck. It was my attitude that one day I decided that I was not going to live that way. That first month with my new attitude, I had saved money because I believed I was going to save.

Some people want to be Warren Buffet, some just want to retire in their 50's, some might want to make enough to be charitable, I think at the end of the day you can be any of these if you believe and work at it everyday.  It's really is about you — "Make your vision of where you want to be a reality." I think everyone should use this except, we as a society need to promote this type of attitude. Having the attitude that you cannot get out of poverty, is going to be very difficult. You always hear the stories of people who came from nothing and they say things like "I just decided that I wasn't going to poor anymore, and that I was going to be somebody". I think this all goes back to, you can be whatever you want, you just have to believe it.

What do you think? What is unachievable to you? Nothing right! Go have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. "Where this is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." - Proverbs 29:18

    I was in an unlocked financial prison until the day I realized it, opened the door, & walk out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a very motivation inspiring book - but I had to do some research anyway: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_world's_best_selling_book

    ReplyDelete
  3. David - Ya I don't think he was literally talking about it being the best selling book ever, I think he was backing what he was saying with that is what he wants it to be, so he put it on the cover.

    ReplyDelete