Monday, May 4, 2009

April 09 Net Worth: 28% Jump!

This is the first month that I have seen a significant jump in my net worth since I started tracking it. My overall net worth jump by 28%, which is nice considering a) I purchased a engagement ring and b) went on vacation for a week in April. I have to admit this is an incredible feeling seeing my net worth have such a great month. Minus the stock market I thought that my cash saving would take a big hit because of the vacation and the amount of money we spend. We locked our finances down the rest of the month and I was still able to save some money. So with that here is the break down:

Cash & Savings: This is about normal, as I have $780.00 directly going into my money market fund which has my emergency fund and my house down payment fund. So as you can see I managed to save around $170.00, somehow I am still not sure how? It will be going towards paying off the remaining $125.00 on my AMEX card from vacation. This category also houses my monthly budget, vacation, and vehicle maintenance funds.

Stocks/Brokerage: This also saw a increase in value mostly because of the stock market doing a little better the last couple of weeks. I also purchased a little bit of Nike stock as well. 

Retirement 401k: This category saw the biggest jump and again it is mostly because of the turn around in the stock market. I am still adding 5% of my paycheck as well so that is helping. It would be nice to see it gain this much monthly every month. I believe since I started my 401k a few years back the market value is about what I have paid for it, which is better than losing 40-50%. I am thinking of rolling some of this(around 14k) from my previous job over to an IRA, I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Roth IRA: I have made close to 1k over the last 2 months and I would love for this to keep up. At the end of this month I will be adding more to this, I have a savings fund that has the 3% I took out of my paycheck so that I can max out my Roth. See here

Debts and Liabilities - Still need to cut down on the vehicle

Credit Card 1: This is all but paid off on AMEX - this is from vacation and I am making sure I pay the remaining balance before I get hit with interest. I have about $125.00 that I have to pay before end of the week and will be sitting at $0.00.

Credit Card 2: $4140.00 this is a card which is 12 month 0% APR. I have the money in my savings to pay off the remaining balance if I wanted if something unexpected came up. $4,200 divided by 12 months = $350.00 a month. I will be paying the minimum of the card every month (2.5% of remaining balance) while putting the rest of what remains of the $350.00 into a high yield saving account to make a little interest off while I borrow interest free. I will be cutting a check for the remaining balance on the 12 month of next year before the 0% APR expires.

Car Loan: $13,147.00 is the choke hold on my budget. This is what they talk about being enslaved to debt. I could be putting $400.00 a month more into my down payment on a house or investing in retirement or for charity. I drove my last car till it died 270k miles and I plan on doing this but I wish I could just not have that payment every month. I am borrowing at 4% so its not breaking the bank but not loosening up around my neck either. I want to start paying down the principle but I have been saying that for a few months now and can honestly say that this year is not going to probably happen. So I will keep getting at it...

Overall I cannot be mad, it was my best month since starting this blog and it feels good to see my net worth grow. I just have to stay the course and be realistic that I am going to have up and down months, and that I am in it for the long haul. Sure would be nice though for the Dow to get back around 12, ha

Related Post


How are you doing with your net worth and budget? Leave a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment